The client is a furniture manufacturer offering full-scale kitchen solutions including frameless, bespoke cabinets for high-end homes. Based out of the USA, the firm has manufacturing facilities in Vietnam and China to deliver ready to deliver kitchen cabinetry works.
In order to improve bid to win ratio the client was looking to outsource specific activities related to:
- Preparation of kitchen layout drawings using 2020 Design
- Calculation of quantity take-offs from architectural drawings using Macros and other Excel formulae
To keep profits within margins the manufacturer faced challenge such as:
- Skills gap for accurate cost analysis and project cost estimation.
- Time crunch to train the in-house resources to enhance bids accuracy.
- Time taking quantity takeoffs calculation process restricting the number of bids placed.
- A team of furniture experts and CAD specialist engineers was formed to study and derive insights such as cabinet dimensions, location in 3D, etc. from architectural floor plans of kitchen
- Using the inbuilt library of 2020 design, kitchen cabinet models were customized to calculate the quantities needed
- From these QTOs, total specs of bought out items, products to be manufactured and raw material needed were calculated using highly efficient custom macros and inbuilt formulae in Excel spreadsheets
- Extensive brainstorming sessions were carried out between HitechDigital engineers and cost estimator at client’s end to eliminate any chances of errors in bid.
- Project commenced by defining clear milestones and review mechanism to have work visibility and error-free quantity takeoff deliverables.
- Based on architectural drawings several RFIs were raised and a list of questions to be discussed in greater detail regarding designs details of cabinets.
- Software technology used: 2020 Design and Excel Macros
- Calculating the material quantities:
- Our engineers began by evaluating the drawings to calculate quantities for veneers, laminates, box sizes – with materials such as MDF, particle board, plywood etc., doors, handles etc.
- The quantities were calculated on Macro-powered Spreadsheets.
- Material quantity needed, based on floor plans and part drawings, was shared with the cost estimator at the client’s end for calculation of bid values.
- A team of two furniture design engineers at HitechDigital worked round the clock, therefore there was almost no loss of time as queries were raised and answered well-in advance owing to the time zone difference.
- Using 2020 Design software, 3D models and drawings for kitchen cabinets with standard libraries were developed to improve overall modeling and drafting time.
- Product models were standardized to maintain uniformity and a template for Bill of Material was prepared to ease the process.
- A dedicated QC team of senior furniture industry experts validated the work with random sample audits against the reference drawings before shipping off to the client.
Increased bid-to-win ratio
Faster and accurate material takeoffs calculation
Operational scalability increased efficiency
More business opportunities