The client is a US-based e-commerce service provider, specializing in furniture, home furnishings and décor items for individual as well as retail customers. Their product range includes over 10 million functional and aesthetically appealing products (from more than 10,000 suppliers) for kitchen, living room, bedroom, outdoor and office settings.
To increase customer experience and convert every visit to a sale in an increasingly competitive market, the client wanted to create an extensive virtual library of products on their website. The 360 degree realistic view would give customers an enhanced buying experience.
To create this exhaustive virtual display of its products the client needed to convert sketched PDFs and reference pictures to fully textured 3D models.
- The inputs provided by the client were inadequate since they lacked:
- dimensions and carried only a brief description of the design.
- reference images from all sides/angles.
- required textures which meant researching and creating textures in-house.
- The quality and resolution of the pictures and reference images provided was also quite low.
The Product Modeling team at Hitech created, textured and rendered 3D models in 3Ds Max for products across product lines including sofas, chairs, shop counters etc. based on retail display needs.
The models included:
- Compatibility with the client’s website design and mobile app
- An AR view of the furniture pieces for a more realistic experience by visualizing their placement in real rooms and locations
- Given the ongoing and scalable nature of the project a team of 18-20 trained members with domain expertise was formed on a quarterly configurable basis as per project requirements
- An initial batch of input sketches, pictures and drawings provided by the client were thoroughly studied to assess gaps and scope of work and define workflows accordingly on a secured platform provided by the client.
- For each batch of SKUs, sketches and pictures received, first accurate dimensions were assigned with an assumption difference of 0.5%
- The 3D models were then developed in 3Ds Max with reference images from web link
- The models were textured and rendered using Photoshop and V-Ray as per the reference images
- Mudbox was used to provide further detailing such as wrinkles to the model
- The textured and rendered 3D models were uploaded to client portal where the portal auto-checked all models against regulations and standards. Models not as per specifications were auto-rejected while the correct models were channeled for client review
- The models were reviewed by client on a daily basis and detailed feedback was shared along with reference images. The team addressed these comments and submitted the models on the same secure platform for final approval by the client.
- The models made using 3Ds Max were AR ready to be used on client website and mobile app.
- Software and Technology used: Autodesk 3Ds Max®, V-Ray, Photoshop, Mudbox
Creation of an interactive and virtual library of furniture products
Reduction in overall product reach time to customers
High quality of texturing and rendering and AR ready models increased user experience