IMEG is one of the top five engineering design & consulting firms in the US, delivering infrastructure, building systems and diverse construction-related services, with operations in 30+ locations in the US.
In the initial phase of the project, IMEG (then KJWW) was looking for a design support partner for its MEP and structural engineering projects (BIM models, construction designs and drawings). With this partnership they aimed to:
- Increase their capability to deliver higher volumes,
- Reduce engineering cycle times,
- Optimize operational costs without compromising quality,
- Ease hiring and training hassles.
As the project progressed, the team expanded its ranks and expanded its coverage of geographies. IMEG gained confidence in operating through an offshore delivery center. They now wished to transition to a Build, Operate and Transfer engagement model where:
- The delivery center would be based out of India with ability to scale,
- The operational team would be IMEG’s,
- The management would be of HitechDigital,
- The operations would be managed by dedicated teams from Hitech
An assessment of the scope of work highlighted initial challenges which the Hitech team navigated. These primarily related to:
- Setting up skilled teams of Design Engineers, proficient in international construction standards.
- Setting up seamless workflows between the India and client teams spread across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Ensuring that daily timelines were met while factoring in iterations.
- Bridging the cultural gaps between the two teams.
A dedicated design support team for MEP and structural designs was set up which consistently delivered high quality designs and drawings to clients. Over time the team expanded its ranks, took on additional projects and expanded its coverage of geographies. Today IMEG’s India operations, adeptly managed by HitechDigital, span 250+ engineers across three delivery hubs in India. Here is a phase-by-phase account of how the project transformed into a global capability center with a Build, Operate & Transfer (BOT) model.
Phase Build. The project commences.
- The recruitment team at HitechDigital hired skilled and certified design engineers. The hiring process, monitored closely by the IMEG team, included careful resume screening, psychometric tests, skill tests and multi-level interviews.
- Requisite engineering software licenses were procured.
- A scalable technical infrastructure was set up which included dedicated servers, computers, security systems, networking capabilities etc.
Phase Operate. Expansion and Evolution.
- The Hitech modelers, drafters and designers created designs and drawings and shared them with their US counterparts. All suggested revisions were turned in within the specified timeframe.
- Daily scrum calls, weekly updates, ongoing mentoring, and training in domain knowledge ensured the Hitech team strengthened its delivery capabilities over time and there was perfect sync between teams.
- With the addition of more geographies and projects under scope, the team was expanded.
- Technical infrastructure was scaled up and dedicated support services with HR, Finance and Technical teams were established.
- Employee handbooks and technical policies were designed which leaned on Hitech strengths but were customized to client needs.
- Seamless cultural integration and employee development programs were conducted.
- Representatives from the client’s US office made frequent visits to the India office to assess and closely monitor the situation.
Phase Transfer. Client Owns and Hitech Manages.
With growth in project and increasing amalgamation of US and Indian teams, a mutual decision was taken between the two partners to transfer the Indian operations to the client.
- IMEG got registered in India as an Indian entity.
- Hitech was responsible for financial compliance in India.
- All project team members working on the Hitech project were moved to the payroll of the client.
- HitechDigital continued to manage the client company through dedicated support service teams for employee, finance, liaising, technical and other issues.
HitechDigital supported the client’s expansion plans by helping them set up two more delivery centers in Vizag and Bangalore in 2016 and 2023 respectively. The activities here involved:
- Market research to identify the best location was conducted. Strategic location, business friendly atmosphere, skill availability, infrastructure strength, cost of operations and other factors were considered before finalizing locations.
- Infrastructural set up was done at both locations which included office furniture, server rooms, and other technological infrastructure.
- Liaising was necessitated with regulatory authorities for office use permission and import of hardware etc.
Hitech continues to manage the three facilities of the client providing continued strategic and support services.
Infrastructure and resource costs optimized by offshoring more than 70% of work.
Reduce turnaround time through seamless coordination between Indian and US teams.
Scale up capabilities at short notice in response to market demand.
Seamlessly onboard newly acquired companies through resource consolidation in IMEG India.