One of the largest construction companies in the MENA region
An Egypt based Construction Company, operating out of 15 countries, needed Revit models for constructing a new eye hospital spread over an area of 5 million sq. ft. with detailed BOQ and life cycle assessment. They required an LOD 400 As-built model using 2D CAD drawings and actual photographs provided as inputs, for all the architectural and structural components.
Autodesk Revit, COBie
- Use real-estate more efficiently.
- Accurate quantities of required material & elements.
- Specify the content and scope of electronic as-built record deliverables.
- Architectural drawings of inconsistent quality.
- Missing details in the drawings.
- Incorporating landscape elements like planters, curbs, wave walls, fountains, hardscape, soft scape, steps, etc. into the model.
Engineers at Hitech delivered a federated model consisting of individual discipline-specific architecture, structure and MEP models basis the drawings received in form of pdf files. We successfully detected all the inter-disciplinary clashes and resolved them, and also generated detailed BOQ, and construction schedules to help the client with life cycle assessment of the hospital.
- The building components were modeled adhering to COBie (Construction Operations and Building Information Exchange) standards to make it FM ready.
- Creation of a multi-disciplinary, coordinated 3D model of the building and linked models of all disciplines though created separately, in one single file. This ensured that none of its elements of services clashed with each other, even before the construction started.
- Modeled every single element of the building with detailed information to generate detailed BOQ conveniently, to qualify required material in advance. It would also help in reducing construction waste and to manage on-site material storage and construction schedule.
- Assisted the clients to estimate total material required and cost involved.
- FM interacted BIM model enabled AEC and building facilities professionals to share information during design, construction and into operations throughout the building’s life cycle.
- BIM model facilitated use of real-estate more efficiently.
- Framework for building owners to specify content & scope of electronic as-built record deliverable.
- The single model environment made it easier to coordinate different disciplines.
- Model-based construction scheduling and material take-offs ensured minimum rework, and no wastage of material.
- Structure was tested for strength, analyzed for energy efficiency, and improvements were implemented; resulting in overall savings of 18-21% of total budgets.
We as a construction company learned a lot from Hitech about taking BIM design to field installation and building trust in documents. We learnt how design teams and trade contractors can work together to produce single-model workflow from early design across fabrication / installation.