The client is a leading supplier of steel wall and tunnel formwork in Netherlands. With over 70 employees, the company commands a turnover of over $22.91 million in sales.
The client was a sub-contractor for formwork erection in concrete structures. Legacy formwork planning by way of 2D detailing and drawing posed multiple challenges which hampered construction efficiencies.
- Coordination issues and information gaps among different stakeholders which at times even led to concrete failure
- Ineffective use of Formwork modules
- Difficulty in batch planning of concrete due to lack of project visibility and associated requirements
They partnered with Hitech for modelling solutions that would streamline operations and increase construction efficiencies. The key metrics targeted for achieving positive outcomes were turnaround time, cost and quality.
- The heavy data volumes received as inputs file to be downloaded on a daily basis was a time consuming process
- Challenges in communication and documentation due to linguistic differences (Dutch)
- Ad-hoc changes during design change led to loss of time
The BIM engineers at Hitech proposed the use of Revit 3D BIM modelling as a solution that would address challenges posed by legacy 2D methods. The digitized BIM models enhanced project visibility, provided detailing at a granular level, brought stakeholders on the same page and reduced project ambiguities.
As a value-add, Hitech also standardized workflow to make it more agile and provided user-friendly documentation in the native language (Dutch), with full sheet setup.
- The team at Hitech assessed as-is conditions to understand process gaps and come up with an optimal solution.
- They created accurate and content-rich 3D BIM formwork models with accurate formwork parts and numbers and modulation sequence. This helped in better site planning level. The detailed planning also prevented any mishaps on construction site.
- The engineers created a set of libraries (Revit families) keeping in mind the Formwork standards specified by the client. All internal parameters and specifications were included in the families which could at a later stage be used for generating BOQs and BOMs.
- Efficient use of libraries also enabled the client to use the Formwork model multiple times in the same building. That significantly saved on project costs.
- Collaborated BIM platform and BIM 360 heightened visibility into the Formwork project for all stakeholders. They could now access details at a granular level from any place and across any device. This reduced iterations, accelerated production and optimized costs.
Tools and Technology used- Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD, Revit, Dynamo, Monday.com and BIM 360
20% reduced production time
100% quality of output
Enhanced accessibility and transparency across stakeholders